InterSTEM Blog


The views expressed in the article belong solely to the author and do not reflect the political stance or ideology of InterSTEM as an organization.



  Joan Joe   28 Nov 2020   5 min
Could gum disease be the cause of Alzheimer’s disease?

   A risk factor for Alzheimer's disease is poor oral health. What is not clear is whether gum disease induces the condition or is merely a consequence. A privately funded research has now verified that the bacteria that cause gum disease are not only in the mouths but also in the brains of people with Alzheimer's.


  Tania Firouzabady   28 Nov 2020   4 min
Memories and the effects of time

   Memories have been a subject of interest to scientists from an early age. Understanding how memories function and change over time is vital to developments in research concerning the causes of memory loss, particularly with regards to Alzheimer’s disease.


  Satyam Mehta   28 Nov 2020   3 min
Dark matter: The most influential mystery in the universe

   Only about 5% of the universe is visible by humans. So, what about the remaining 95%? It turns out that this large portion of dark matter actually consists of dark matter and dark energy, and that's what we are going to talk about in this article; with a special focus on dark matter.


  Valeria Rivadeneyra   28 Nov 2020   3 min
Artificial neurons to cure chronic disease

   Neurons are an essential part of our nervous systems and bodies. Imitating one of them is a difficult task; however, thanks to science, it has become a reality.


  Ana Monsalud   20 Nov 2020   7 min
2020 Nobel Prize in Physics: Black holes

   The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences awarded the 2020 Nobel Prize in Physics to three astrophysicists based on their discoveries relating to black holes. Half the prize was awarded to Roger Penrose, with the other divided between Reinhard Genzel and Andrea Ghez.


  Emily Richter   20 Nov 2020   4 min
Dispelling common myths about epilepsy

   Many people have misconceptions about what epilepsy actually is. Here are eight common myths and their corresponding truths.


  Reagan Smith   13 Nov 2020   4 min
Mapping the human genome

   On Oct. 1, 1990, scientists undertook one of the most significant explorations of the universe to this date. Instead of aiming upwards at the stars, researchers looked into our cells and began the arduous process of mapping the entire human genome.


  Joan Joe   13 Nov 2020   4 min
Left and right-brained characteristics and striving for dominance

   Some individuals prefer to write with one hand over another while others throw with only one of their hands. This is usually because one of your brains is dominant over the other. While it is possible to randomly assign the dominant side of the brain, research indicates that there could be something more than randomness at work.


  Simone Rothaupt   07 Nov 2020   4 min
Gene editing and the future of human evolution

   Gene editing through CRISPR and other methods will enable humans to control their own evolution. How does this novel technology work?


  Ana Monsalud   07 Nov 2020   3 min
The Fermi paradox: Possibilities of extraterrestrial life

   In 1950, during a lunch conversation with three other physicists, American physicist Enrico Fermi exclaimed, “Where is everybody?” Seventy years later, scientists are still trying to explain the lack of any evidence for extraterrestrial life despite all theories pointing towards the existence of aliens.